This time of year, I obsess over giving the perfect gift for each person on my shopping list. I find complete joy in giving a gift that is thoughtful and will truly be happily received by my friends and family (no socks on my list!). However, I have to admit that I spend more time searching and thinking about it than I do going out to purchase it! But this year, I have items on my list that should make each member of the outdoor enthusiast family jump for joy and head outdoors! For budget conscious shoppers and stocking stuffers, I have included a bonus list of five more items at the end of this list.
1. Nike Free Run 2 id: CUSTOMIZE IT! Who doesn’t want a custom pair of running shoes? I was lucky enough to receive a pair for my birthday last year, and had a blast choosing obnoxious neon colors (perfect for a night run!). Since half the fun is the customization process, a gift card with a guide, or creative note, to find the customizable shoe would be perfect for the run enthusiast, that likes to add a little pizazz to their work out get up. Available for all members of the family, big or small, anyone can enjoy a custom pair of kicks! $130 at Nike.com
2. Garmin Edge 200 Perfect for any level of bike enthusiast that would like to see where they have been and track their work-outs! Simple to use, GPS enabled, the Garmin Edge 200 tracks time, distance, speed, location, and calories burned. It also tracks times from previous rides, and compares your progress from previous rides. It also ban be used in conjunction with their free website, Garmin Connect, which tracks, logs, records and maps your previous rides. This is the most budget friendly, full feature, bike computer on the market, $129.99, it can be found at Garmin.com
3. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Bike Trainer Can’t find the time to get out on the bike before dark? Can’t find the motivation to go out after dark? The Kurt Kinetic Magnetic Bike trainer is a whisper quiet way to log early season miles in your garage, basement, baby’s room (seriously, it’s that quiet) or pain cave. This isn’t your dad’s bike trainer, but it’s not cheap either $379.00 will get you off and riding.
4. Nike+ Fuel Band Using an accelerometer the Nike+ Fuel Band tracks activity throughout the day and translates sports movements and daily activities into points and calories burned. The Nike+ software allows you to set goals and track progress. This is the perfect gift if you’ve got “be more active” on your new years resolution list. $149.00 at Nike.com.
5. Thule 839 Get-a-Grip Love kayaking, stand-up paddling or canoeing? Tired of your paddles clanking around in your SUV? The Thule Get-a-Grip is the perfect accessory for your factory or Thule roof rack. This accessory can hold multiple paddles or a single mast up to 4 inches in diameter. $65.00 at Thule.com
Budget Concious and Stocking Stuffers
1. Contigo Autoseal Kangaroo Water Bottle Kangaroo water bottle? Yup, it’s got a pouch for your stuff! These 24-oz water bottles have space to store keys, cash or an ID while you workout at the gym. These are a great stocking stuffer or budget gift at $12.99 on Amazon.com.
2. Trigger Point Performance The Grid Revolutionary Foam Roller Do your IT Bands feel like steel cables? Lats all snarled? Pick up the Grid Foam Roller and unleash some hurt on your bod. Good hurt. John Mellencamp hurt. Also, snag a copy of: Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance…so you know what the heck you’re doing. ($39.99 at REI and $35 at Amazon.com, respectively) $37.77 Amazon
3. Solio Bolt Solar Charger Want to get off the grid, but suffer from mild paranoia and digital co-dependency? Pack the Solio Bolt Solar Charger with you to keep your iPhone up and running. Never know when you’re going to need to tag your next epic hero pic. The solio can charge your phone twice before requiring the suns rays to re-up it’s internal lithium-ion battery. $65 REI.com
4. Bags on Board Walk-N-Stake Portable Stake System Are you still working on off-the-leash training with your pup? We are, our black lab loves the park, but he is like a 100 lb cannonball when loose at the park. Tame the beast with this staking system that is easily portable on a walk, run or bike to the park. $19.99 Wag.com 5. Lululemon, What the Fluff run hat Funniest name in apparel? Close. Coolest hat on the block? Definitely. Keep the sun off your face and the cold off your ears while taking to the outdoors this winter. $48 Lululemon.com